Friday, November 3, 2017

Orange Papers is gone from the Internet

The notorious "Orange Papers" site, which in its heyday falsely claimed that Alcoholics Anonymous is not helpful, is gone from the internet; it has been down for about half a year. According to its present whois information, it is down because the owner of the site has not been paying his bills.

There are unconfirmed reports that the owner of the site is homeless. While these reports are unconfirmed (I believe them to be true because their source is from people who have no reason to report this, except for concern of "Mr. Orange"'s well-being), we can confirm that the owner of this site is no longer able to pay basic bills such as hosting and registration for his web site. For anyone with a living wage, for anyone who is successful in life, the cost of these kinds of bills -- in the order of a couple hundred a year, if even that -- is trivial. Someone needs to have serious problems managing his life to not be able to pay this kind of bill.

My sponsor has always said that "Look at the life someone is living and decide if you want what they have."  I do not want to be unable to pay my bills, and I do not want to probably be homeless, so I have no reason to emulate Mr. Orange's behavior. 

My prayers, of course, are with Mr. Orange. I hope he gets out of the problems he is having in his life. Then again, life does have consequences, and I can not see any good coming from having a resentment against AA.

Alcoholics Anonymous almost always works if you work it. For the record, I am not homeless, I am able to pay my bills, and I am able to celebrate another day clean and sober.